This modern ship has been designed and equipped with sophisticated equipment in order to allow it to perform versatile functions:
- Research – vessel is designed to allow for conducting internal GMU scientific programs, as well as various sea research projects during its regular voyages;
- Didactic – thanks to the multiplied training stands on the bridge, spacious engine control room and on-board lecture class-room the vessel allows for conducting on-board all types of marine training for both GMU and external students
- Transport – vessel is capable of transporting two 20’ feet containers; thanks to this feature it is used for regular supplies of provisions and equipment for Polish polar stations in the Arctic; the containers may be used also as portable research laboratories;
- Tourist – thanks to high standard of accommodation spaces, spacious mess room and club on-board “HORYZONT II” may be used for tourist escapades, depending on the availability of free accommodation.
The vessel has obtained the ice class, which allows it to perform its regular sailings to Spitsbergen island in the Arctic Ocean. The purpose of these voyages is to supply the provisions and equipment to Polish research polar stations and at the same time to train on-board the students of Gdynia Maritime University.
NAVIMOR International and REMONTOWA shipyard have delivered to Gdynia Maritime University training and research vessel HORYZONT II
HORYZONT II main particulars are:
- Length o.a.: 56,34m
- Breadth: 11,36 m
- Depth to main deck: 6,29 m
- Draught max: 5,33 m
- Speed: 12 kn
- Crew: max 57 persons (incl. 16 of permanent crew)
- Classification society: Polish Register of Shipping
- Class notation: *KM RESEARCH / TRAINING SHIP  L2 AUT